20 Foods for Good Health
These foods all offer a wide range of vitamins, minerals and protein, along with beneficial fats and fibre. Including 2 servings of veg at each meal is easy too. Try a breakfast smoothie as an example, you can see recipe on Instagram @happyout_nutrition. You can also check out my Macronutrient post to better understand what you're eating.
Choosing 1 or 2 foods from each group at every meal will help to ensure you are getting a good balance of protein, fat, fibre and carbs. Each play an important role in the body and finding a balance that works for you is key.
Healthy doesn’t have to be hard, it just takes small steps in the right direction to lead up to big results.
2. Berries, apples, pears, grapes, bananas, melons
3. Broccoli, kale, arugula, bok choy, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, collard greens
4. Lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges
5. Tomatoes, cucumbers
6. Squash, carrots, aubergine, parsnips, courgette/zucchini
7. Sweet potatoes
The above foods give us so many of our vitamins and minerals that are key players in all functions of the body including healthy skin, digestion, and immune function.
11. Chickpeas, black or red beans, pinto beans, lima beans, black eyed peas, peas, corn
13. Nuts (unsalted is best) sunflower, pumpkin, chia, hemp, and flax seeds
16. Salmon, crab, halibut, lobster, oysters, sea bass, shrimp, tuna
The above foods offer primarily protein but also omega 3s and essential amino acids. All are beneficial in the production of muscle, bone, blood cells, and cartilage. Many play a role in cardiovascular health and support our brain and immune function also.
18. Whole-grain, whole-wheat bread, sourdough or rye breads
19. Whole-wheat or rice pasta
The above foods are great sources of fibre and slow release carbohydrates for those that are more active or need help stabilizing blood sugar levels. They are also high in protein and support cardiovascular and digestive health.
Remember happy in, leads to happy out!